In 1990, the first filters were developed to protect the cab environment of operators in agricultural equipment from extreme dust and chemical / pesticide application exposure. We soon became the choice of the American farmer, still supplying some of the largest spray equipment manufactures with their OEM cab filters.
Soon to follow, CAF was invited by NIOSH to participate in the Silicosis Project. At this time, the first Filtration Pressurization System (FPS) unit was developed and HEPA media was added to the filtration for increased protection. It was a worldwide endeavor by NIOSH and this product demonstrated optimum performance.
Currently, CAF prides itself in manufacturing the best 50 cfm (84.95m³/h) and 150 cfm (254.85m³/h) FPS in the world. The system is field tested with multiple contaminants proving a great deal of variability in both particulate and vapor protection within the same system.
The FPS55 system was developed for 55CFM (93.45 m³/h) ± 5CFM (8.50m³/h) with a new filter. The FPS unit is built of heavy duty, powder coated steel. The blower motor (high efficiency) uses a backwards curve fan for steady performance under extreme dust loading, enabling the system to operate between 60 CFM (101.94m³/h) and 35 CFM (59.47m³/h). Each unit is factory tested with CO2 @ 0.00038 µm.
The CAF48R filter, utilized in the FPS55 Series, is a multi-stage particulate/vapor filter:
1. The first stage is a high capacity dust filter composed of cellulose. For decades this product has been used in agriculture for the large dust particles > 10µm. It not only removes the large dust particles, it also absorbs liquid droplets.
2. The second stage of this filter is a super high respirator grade activated carbon. This media is layered contiguously between the pleats of the first stage paper media. The air flow to this media is controlling the dust loading of the first stage. This media serves as the vapor adsorbent.
3. The third and final filter is HEPA media.
The CAF48R has excellent organic vapor adsorption capabilities as demonstrated by passing the EN15695 category 4 criteria. Cross comparison to any specific vapor must take into consideration the test stimulant, cyclohexane, used in the category 4 test. The objective is to offer the operator of the cab the cleanest temperature controlled work environment possible.
Operator Protection Level Parameters and Field Testing Criteria used by CAF:
1. Operator Protection Level testing is based on 98% total cab efficiency @ 0.3µm
2. Providing the operator with a minimum of 17.66 CFM (30 m³/h) of clean air at all
3. Reducing leaks in the negative air plenum of the HVAC, maximum 2% total
4. Cab Pressurization – The most misunderstood characteristic of Protection Level
Cab Pressure, whether high or low, is NOT an indication of safe operator protection levels.
Once a cab is field tested for protection levels with Optical Particle Counters and/or CO2, the Differential Pressure Gage (DPG) can be used as an indication of changing cab performance. Once calibrated, the DPG will give indications of filter loading, cab seal degradation, electrical changes, improper filter installation, etc.
In high dust environments the CAF48R has exhibited exceptional long life due to the inherent design of the filter. CAF has done laboratory vapor testing with cyclohexane demonstrating even air flows across the filter, with no measurable tunneling or channeling, for particulates and vapors. This test is similar to the test developed for respirator cartridges.
In addition to the mandatory vapor testing that repeatedly meets EN15695 category 4, CAF has performed extensive post vapor test analysis of the activated carbon that validates the effective, efficient, and balanced usage of the carbon's adsorption capability, also an indication of balanced air flows.
Please remember, everything is a balance!
Increasing or decreasing air flows create changes in: The FPS55.1 Series unit with a CAF48R filter allows cabs with less than 2% leakage and cab pressure greater than 0.0804” H20 (20Pa) to meet the EN15695, categories 1,2,3, and 4, as manufactured.
- service and products to a broad scope of industries with a global customer base
- mining, metal foundries, ethanol plants, landfills, and residential applications
- specific filtration solutions for controlled environments
- air filtration solutions based on patented technology
- laboratory and field testing
- correlation between particulate and vapor test data
- patented CO2 Cab Integrity Test